Header Comment

This blog will keep you updated with what is going on with me, my new inspirations, and what is coming across my desk.
Please comment if you want to know more about what I am working on. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

ISC Sample Layout

When I create a layout for an Independent Study Course, I try not to be too fancy.  This can be hard after spending so much time in the design phase, but the easier it is for the user to access the information, the more successful they will be.  Bold is the only flourish I allow myself, and I will generally only use bold when increasing the font size is not an option.  Also, I am opposed to colored text, especially, the over use of red.  I prefer just to spell it out for the user:

Important: Read this.

Below is a sample layout:

Welcome Title
Welcome Message: 
Always welcome the user to training.  Let them know who to contact with questions.

Primary Subject Title
Timeline:  When you expect the user to take the training.
Duration: How much of the user’s time will training take/the maximum time allowed for training.

Curriculum:
A message regarding the overall goals and acquired skills gained by the completion of the course.

Prerequisite(s):
Anything the user must complete before beginning the training course.

Reference Materials:
All Reference materials associated with this course.  Typically these are Quick Cards, Glossaries, and/or outside vendor materials.

Instructions:
Any instructions pertaining to how to complete the Independent Study Course.  Less is more.

Syllabus:
A list of modules, practice exercises, and assessments that the user must complete to be fluent on the Primary Subject.

Module Title (there will be several of these)
Duration:  How long.
Topics: A list of the presented topics.

Important Notes:
Anything that the Instructor/Facilitator determines needs repeating to have the user successfully complete the course.  Typically, this information is an instruction.

Secondary Subject(s) Title
Secondary Subject message/instructions:
Generally, this is a link to an already existing training course.

No comments:

Post a Comment